WHY IS COLLAGEN IMPORTANT FOR SKIN?
So what exactly is collagen? Collagen is the most plentiful protein in your body. It’s one of the major building blocks for bones, skin + connective tissues. In the dermis – middle layer of the skin – collagen helps form a fibrous network of cells upon which new cells can grow. The body naturally makes its own collagen by breaking down dietary protein into amino acids.
Collagen is crucial to supple skin. It’s the skin’s structural net that makes skin resilient, strong + elastic, ensuring healthy, plump looking skin.
Collagen begins to deplete as young as around 20 years old! Add to that poor diet, sun exposure, smoking + environmental, emotional or physical stress + a person’s skin can become thinner + more fragile as cellular structures weaken or turn sluggish.
Fortunately there are ways to increase collagen that are fairly simple.
- Diet is the most vital step in promoting healthy collagen. Eat foods rich in protein - legumes, nuts + wholegrains. Beta-carotene also helps - pumpkin, carrots, spinach + parsley. Vitamin C supports the process of collagen formation, so munch on broccoli, berries + fruit. Beans, cabbage + garlic are rich in sulphur to help maintain skin integrity. Almonds + walnuts also work from within to improve your skin's health.
- Massage helps stimulate collagen production + strengthens muscle memory. With regular stimulation you can lift, tone + tighten your skin + boost blood circulation. Massage your face when you apply your moisturiser using light, upward movements. Never drag your skin! Take your time. This is the chance to give your skin some love.
- Hydration. Keeping your skin hydrated with water, a diet rich in plant foods + hydrating skin care is possibly the easiest way to boost collagen. The more hydrated your skin is, the better the environment is for collagen to thrive. Try a spritz, either Desert Rain or Sanctia, for a beautiful boost. Packed with flower essences, spritzing relaxes your mood. Our face moisturisers also contain natural hydration... floral waters, native extracts + oils.
- Decrease sugar, smoking + alcohol. These kill collagen by restricting blood flow, resulting in prematurely dry, wrinkled skin.
- Skincare made with chemicals sits on the top of the skin + doesn’t allow nutrients to penetrate. All the goodness is counter-acted by the chemical irritants. If you want to maintain the longevity of your skin, natural products contain the vitamins, proteins + actives your skin requires without the glycols + silicones that come from the chemical industry.
There are plenty of collagen supplements on offer but collagen needs a living organism to function so taking it internally won’t always have the desired effect.
The collagen molecule doesn’t penetrate the skin, it just sits on the surface. You need to choose skincare containing amino acids that deliver to the deeper layers of the dermis for that plumping effect.
Natural plant, nut + seed oils contain amino acids which is why we use them in all our products. Hemp seed for instance contains all twenty known amino acids including the nine essential amino acids our bodies can’t produce. Pure essential oils also contain amino acids.
Today we’re bombarded with complexity but bringing your skincare back to nature gives you the best chance of skin health + more importantly, skin longevity!
For more skin tips follow us on Facebook or Instagram.